Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bring on 4.36

This is my last day of work…it is very strange. I kind of feel like I should be sadder than I am, but I am too excited to be sad or concerned about leaving. I have certainly valued my work in my current position far more, and in different ways, than I had ever expected I would. It’s not to say this job has not been without its challenges – I have experienced significant personal and professional challenges associated with this job (as those who have lived with me or spent much time with me during this period will know), but for the most part I have worked through them, and feel that the experience has been invaluable. The bottom line is, that if I had not had the experiences and been given the opportunities through this role I would not have been successful in my application to AYAD and Timor-Leste.


I am almost constantly in a state of impatience at the moment…impatient to finish work, impatient to move out of my house so that I can enjoy my last few days in Melbourne, impatient to get back to Maffra to hang out with my family, impatient to have some fun times with my friends, but most of all – impatient to get on the plane and make this idea of Timor as my home (for a short time) a reality.


I’ve just realised that it has been exactly five months I made the decisions to apply applying to live and work in Maliana. No wonder I’m getting impatient!


I am sure there will be times in Timor Leste that I regret being so impatient – but for now…bring it on!


Things seem to be coming together (I have inherited my mothers organisational skills) and am trying to achieve a little each day. I will be ready to move out of the house by Saturday, which will be sad as I have had lots of fun times in that place over the years. But, moving is the last big job I have to do and after that I am sure the time will fly – I’ll be in Dili before I know it.


My fellow Timor AYAD’s have been very helpful, and almost everyday there is another email with an idea or a reminder (bring a surge protector, don’t forget your snorkel!). I am looking forward to getting to know these people a little. They all seem lovely (so far!).


Technically, I’m still at work – so I better get back to it. (It is almost time for a nice glass of red wine...)

No comments: