Sunday, June 27, 2010

Beep beep

At home it takes a lot for me to beep my horn, but here in East Timor, it's a little different. Honking your horn is part of everyday life, in fact its a big part of everyday life. On my 5 minute ride to work I beep my horn at least a couple of times - it is strange if I don't get at least one in during the morning. It's taken me a while to work out what the beep can mean, but really, the list of meaning is endless...here are just a few that I've figured out...

  • Hey there, how are you?
  • Hi!
  • Just letting you know I’m here
  • You’ve got white skin and I think that’s weird
  • Just wanted you to know that I can see you
  • Goats, seriously, I would move if I were you, otherwise you’ll be road kill bibi
  • I’m going to overtake you
  • You might think I’m going to move over but I’m just going to continue hogging the road until you are forced to drive into the scrub…ha ha ha, I made you drive into the scrub
  • Just felt like honking my horn
  • Look out dog, I’m coming through whether you move or not
  • Thanks for letting me overtake you
  • You beeped, so now I'm beeping. Nice teamwork!
  • Nice day, isn’t it? I hope you have a good one!
  • Look out I’m coming around the blind corner
  • See you next time
  • Get out of my way you bloody idiot
  • Oops, I accidentally hit my horn but nice to see you anyway
  • Yay for life!
  • I’m not quite sure why I’m doing this, it just seems to be the right thing to do. Isn’t it fun?

1 comment:

Sarah Jane said...

giggling like an idiot. There are two others in the room who are now thinking I'm odd in a new way.